Take the next step from our Barista Essentials course and expand your expertise with our advanced Barista training, designed for baristas who wish to deepen their understanding of specialty coffee and espresso. Guided by our expert barista trainers, we explore coffee from green coffee processing to the chemistry of roasting to the final espresso in your cup. Learn about the significance of coffee freshness, the intricacies of espresso recipes, and the importance of equipment calibration. We'll also delve into the chemical composition of milk and its alternatives. Join us and elevate your coffee game!
Prerequisite: An understanding of how dose and grind affect an espresso extraction.
Duration: 3 Hours
What you will learn
- The journey of green coffee, from origin to harvesting and processing, and how it affects the flavour in your cup
- The unique flavour profiles of single origins and how to create a balanced blend – includes cupping/tasting of 4 single origins
- A close up look at green coffee and roasted coffee, focusing on the chemistry of the roasting process and the optimal extraction of solubles to ensure a balanced espresso
- The impact of freshness on roasted coffee and how the ageing process affects flavour and extraction
- Understanding espresso recipes and the balance of dose, yield and time to achieve the desired flavour profile every time
- Review of the fundamentals of espresso extraction, including the variables of grind and dose
- Grinder calibration and to make adjustments to ensure a correct extraction
- Advanced diagnosis of espresso extraction, considering factors such as brew temperature, pre-infusion and different types of espresso machines such as heat exchange and dual/multi boilers and how to get the best out of them
- How to look after your espresso machine and coffee grinder and troubleshoot problems that may occur
- Examine the chemistry of milk to understand how proteins, lipids, and carbohydrates react to heat, and the difference between dairy and plant-based milk.
See our FAQs about the training centre and classes here
See our Course Booking Terms and Conditions here