The Professional Barista
The Professional Barista
Aimed at working baristas who want to learn the theory and science of espresso coffee and milk. The professional barista course is perfect for consolidating your skills and reaching a high standard of making coffee.
Prerequisite: Attended the WA Barista Training Lab Barista Advanced class or have been working in the coffee industry for 2 years.
- An in-depth look at the roasting process, roasting profiles and the chemical reactions that occur during the roasting process
- We explore the chemistry of roasted coffee and how we can use this knowledge to optimise our espresso extraction and fine-tune our grinders to get a better-tasting espresso.
- We expand on the variables that affect espresso extraction by revising dose and grind, and then we explore further variables such as roast freshness, water temperature, water filtration and how different types of espresso machines will affect your espresso.
- An up-close look at coffee beans and grind, and why your coffee grinder is so important
- A detailed explanation of the different types of Espresso Machines and Grinders on the market, and how to get the most out of them.
- How to look after your espresso machine and grinder and troubleshoot problems as they occur, before they become big problems
- We look at how milk is processed and what at substances that are added to milk, such as extra protein, extra fat and permeate, and discuss how this affects your milk texturing.
- Why you need a good dairy alternative that compliments your coffee and how to best choose and texture them
Attending a Class
What are your cancellation and refund policies?
If you cancel your booking within 24 hrs of the class or do not attend the course, you will forfeit your payment.
We do have a minimum required for a class to run. If we don’t meet the required numbers and have to cancel a class, we will give you at least 24 hours notice and rebook you at a later date/time that is convenient for you.
If you need to cancel or reschedule a class, please contact us as soon as possible. Please note that rebooking a class is subject to availability.
Can I change the date of my class?
Sure thing, as long as you give more than 24 hours notice of the required change, and there are available spots on the chosen date. To change a booking, please contact us.
Where do I go to attend the barista course?
We are located at the Rubra Coffee warehouse – 11 Jones St, O’Connor.
Is there parking available?
Yes, there is verge parking available across the road on weekdays, and the warehouse car park is open to use on the weekends.
Do I receive a certificate?
You will receive a Certification of Completion for each class you attend.
What do I bring to the barista class?
It is recommended that you bring a notebook and pen if you wish to take notes. To satisfy Occupation Health & Safety requirements, you must wear closed in shoes. If you are attending a full day class, you will need to bring your lunch, as there are no food locations open nearby on the weekend. You are welcome to bring a snack for the shorter classes.
What resources will be provided during the classes?
The training uses a combination of hands-on and theory-based learning. You will receive some handouts, and we do use PowerPoints presentations throughout the classes. It is recommended that you bring a notebook and pen if you wish to take notes.